Please do not copy any photos without permission( click on photos to enlarge)

Wednesday, 5 October 2011


September 28th

With the pair now firmly established back on Parliament it is now a lot easier to find them given that they have returned to their favoured roost spots, both adults were quickly located.

The eye at night (click on photos to enlarge)
This particular morning I was due to meet Bertie Gregory and Tom, we were going up on Victoria Palace to hopefully get some photos of the pair. An added bonus was that one of the juveniles was still present, unseen but clearly audible from outside Victoria Gardens, it sounded as if it was on the east facing river side. It soon made itself seen before we went up and looked like a male juvenile with the adult Tiercel who was had also shown from roost.Time was marching on so we went up the Tower with the pair and a juvenile located.

Add caption

Juvenile landing on Big Ben

Tiercel above, Falcon below on Westminster Abbey

For once the weather was ideal and we managed to get some half decent photos in a 2 hour stint, these were mainly of the juvenile, both adults were not hunting very likely due to the presence of the juv(they are encouraging it to go by not feeding it) this was despite both having empty crops. The juvenile made quite a few excursions out over the river and was lost to view, each time it returned to the top of Big Ben, in this period of time it was not seen to kill.
It was an absolutely glorious day and the views over London were spectacular, you can never tire of looking at a landscape like this.

Tiercel seeing off a Crow

Juvenile head on

On my previous visit of September 17th I went up with Tom and checked the nest box to see if any visible signs were apparent to see if they have given the box the once over. When I place and lay the substrate I always leave it absolutely flat so that I can see if anything has disturbed it, on opening the door it was quite obvious a peregrine had entered.


Further to this when I looked on the landing ledge there were needle marks dotted everywhere, these had come from there talons as it/ they had landed. Good news but still early days, was it one of the adults or a juvenile that entered? Time will tell, the next step is to photograph one of them on the ledge, if it is an adult using it they may well start stashing prey in it, watch this space!